Thursday, June 10, 2010

Another day conquered and it was a windy one!! We rode from Santa Maria to Lompoc today and the last 20mi we were met with horrendous headwinds! Down steep hills, I had to peddle to even hit 12mph. I told Kaili, who greeted and cheered me in that today was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Exhausted.

Highlights? Solvang -- a super cute little town! AND today was red dress day! The story behind red dress day is that it originated when someone saw all the riders going up one of the many hills and thought they looked like an AIDS ribbon. The next year the encouraged everyone to wear red.. And it quickly turned into Red Dress Day! It was amazing! One man wore clipped stilettos! I'll post pics when I get home.

One team is riding for a 3 year old little boy who was born HIV+ and has a life expectancy of 7. The local pool in his neighborhood would not let him swim because of his status. So many things reveal
how horrible the stigma and attitude are surrounding the virus.

I am falling asleep writing this -- tomorrow we ride into Ventura!!

1 comment: