Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Peddle peddle peddle!! That has been the story of my life the last few days--ohmigosh. Only a few days? They sure have been long ones...

Yesterday I climbed the Quadbuster .. A huge infamous climb that usually makes veteran cyclists groan but guess what!? I survived and loved it! My feet did some walkin but mostly my butt was in the saddle! I pulled in after about 11.5 hours on my bike and was greeted by the most wonderful person -- kaili!! Her smile made every single ache and pain go away.

Today I climbed two hills called The Evil Twins but I have renamed them the evil bitches!! They almost got the best of me but with such an incredible support team (aka the caboose!!!), I made it halfway to LA! I also made it to lunch but was a little spent and dehydrated so I swept in .. Which I think was the right thing for my body! I can't miss red dress day!

We have made incredible friends here and heard so many stories that have
changed every way I look at life. For example.. Before we rode into lunch today there was a lady sitting on the side of the road and to every rider, she looked them in the face and said, "thank you for riding for ME." I learned later that she was a victim of rape and contracted HIV. she receives all her medication and services through the San FraNcisco AIDS Foundation. With each peddle, I think of her and everything she has gone through and my temporary pain seems so small.

Also, there is a Rider called The Chicken Lady and he lays eggs throughout the route. I found one yesterday and it had s lifesaver in it with a note saying, "You are a hero saving a hero." He actually had a stroke a few years ago and the doctors thought he was done.. But because of his 15 year dedication to the ride, his muscle memory helped his body fully recover and he is still here laying eggs.

I have a million more stories to share and Kaili does too but she is already asleep. Tomorrow is a shorter day // 67 mi// but I know I can do it! I love this ride -- I love all the people I have met -- and we are registering tomorrow for next year. I feel so lucky to do this and cannot believe how amazing it is.

Thank you for all your support, enthusiasm, and encouragement.. I really do read them every day and it makes a huge difference.

Truly Changing,
whitney

1 comment: